Applicants must be enrolled and already attending one of the following accredited scholastic institutions:
- Junior/Community College
- Technical Trade School
Applicants must fully complete the application in its entirety and include in the following order:
- A cover letter introducing yourself and outlining your future personal and career goals. Also include any FVFD activity you’ve been involved in or related community service you’ve performed or volunteered for.
- FVFD Scholarship Application form (download here).
- Verification of acceptance or proof of enrollment from the institution you plan to or are currently attending, showing a minimum of six enrolled units.
- A copy of current transcripts showing a cumulative overall GPA of at least 2.0.
- Two current letters of recommendation. One from a faculty member and the other from a personal friend or associate.
- A professional resume including all academic and work history, as well as community service or volunteer time.
Priority will be given in the following order:
- FVFD High School seniors
- First time applicants
- Previously non-awarded applicants
- Previously awarded applicants
- Active members will be given priority over Exempt members.
- Applicants who have or are scheduled to help with the FVFD Mike Corley Scholarship Rodeo booth (or related fundraising event if residing out of the area), will be given additional consideration.
- Applications that are pursuing public service careers; Fire, Police and medical fields will be given additional consideration.
The Mike Corley Scholarship applications will be evaluated based on the following:
- Verification of the relationship to a FVFD Active or exempt member
- Financial need
- Purpose and plans for higher education
- Personal background, academic and work history, career goals, and references
- Community service participation
- Proof of acceptance from the institution you plan to attend.
- Must maintain an overall cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, for continued eligibility.
Application opening and closing dates:
The Mike Corley Scholarship Committee will begin accepting applications on February 18th, 2020 and the process closes on May 1st, 2020. Applications postmarked after May 1st, 2020 will not be considered and shall be returned to sender. Also, hand delivered applications will not be considered. In order to be accepted, all applications must be mailed (to the below address) and postmarked. The recipient(s) of the Mike Corley Scholarship will be notified of their award and its amount by July 1st, 2020. Please include a recent photo for use in the newspaper, if awarded (photos will not be returned). Fire Explorers and Resident/Intern pictures shall be in uniform.