Ladies Auxiliary Scholarship
Who is eligible to apply?
- Active, Non-Probationary and/or Exempt Members of Fortuna Fire Ladies Auxiliary (FFLA) and Fortuna Volunteer Fire Dept (FVFD).
- Children, Grandchildren or Spouses of active, non-probationary and/or exempt members of FFLA and FVFD.
Applicants must be enrolled and already attending one of the following accredited scholastic institutions:
- Junior/Community College
- Technical Trade School
Applicants must fully complete the application in its entirety and include in the following order:
- A cover letter introducing yourself and outlining your future personal and career goals
- FFLA Scholarship Application Form
- Verification of acceptance or proof of enrollment from the institution you plan to or are currently attending
- A copy of current transcripts including overall GPA
- Two Current Letters of Recommendation:
- One from a faculty member
- One from a personal friend or associate
- A professional resume including all academic and work history
Priority will be given in the following order:
- FFLA High School seniors
- FVFD High School seniors
- First time applicants
- Previously non-awarded applicants
- Previously awarded applicants
- Active members will be given priority over Exempt members.
- Applicants who have or are scheduled to help with FFLA fundraisers will be given additional consideration
- Applicants who plan to foster careers in Fire, Police and Medical fields will be given additional consideration
The FFLA Scholarship applications will be evaluated based on the following:
- Verification of the relationship to a FVFD active or exempt member and/or FFLA member
- Financial need
- Purpose and plans for higher education
- Personal background
- Academic and work history
- Career goals
Application opening and closing dates:
Applications MUST BE mailed and postmarked by May 1st of the current year. Applications postmarked after May 1st will NOT be considered. Any application hand delivered to or dropped off at the Fire Hall will NOT be considered. The recipient(s) of the FFLA Scholarship will be notified of their award and its amount by June 1st of the current year. Applications shall be bound with one large paperclip in the upper left hand corner only.
Mail your application to:
Fortuna Fire Ladies Auxiliary Scholarship
Fortuna Volunteer Fire Department
320 S Fortuna Boulevard
Fortuna, CA 95540
Every year FFLA determines an appropriate amount of scholarship monies based on our current financial situation. Monies are awarded at the discretion of the scholarship committee and are in no way guaranteed until a final determination is made with all scholarship committee members present. Any immediate family members [of the applicant] on the scholarship committee will recues themselves from the discussion and final determination of the application in question, however, they will be given an opportunity to voice their support of the applicant before any final determination is made.
Recipients of this scholarship will receive disbursements per semester or per quarter. Disbursements will be made directly to the student at FFLA discretion on or before the start of the school year. The monies received are to be used to cover educational costs only. There will be a limit of 2 (two) scholarships awarded per applicant.