Applicants must be enrolled and already attending one of the following accredited scholastic institutions:
- Junior/Community College
- Technical Trade School
Applicants must fully complete the application in its entirety and include in the following order:
- A cover letter introducing yourself and outlining your future personal and career goals. Also include any FVFD activity you’ve been involved in or related community service you’ve performed or volunteered for.
- FVFD Scholarship Application form (see attached).
- Verification of acceptance or proof of enrollment from the institution you plan to or are currently attending, showing a minimum of six enrolled units.
- A copy of current transcripts showing a cumulative overall GPA of at least 2.0.
- Two current letters of recommendation from (1) faculty member and (2) personal friend or associate.
- A professional resume including all academic and work history, as well as community service or volunteer time.
Priority will be given in the following order:
- FVFD High School seniors
- First time applicants
- Previously non-awarded applicants
- Previously awarded applicants
- Active members will be given priority over Exempt members.
- Applicants who have or are scheduled to help with the FVFD Mike Corley Scholarship Rodeo booth (or related fundraising event if residing out of the area), will be given additional consideration.
The Mike Corley Scholarship applications will be evaluated based on the following:
- Verification of the relationship to a FVFD Active or exempt member
- Financial need
- Purpose and plans for higher education
- Personal background, academic and work history, career goals, and references
- Community service participation
- Proof of acceptance from the institution you plan to attend.
- Must maintain an overall cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, for continued eligibility.
Application opening and closing dates:
The Mike Corley Scholarship Committee will begin accepting applications on February 3rd, 2016 and the process closes on May 15th, 2016. Applications postmarked after May 15th, 2016 will not be considered and shall be returned to sender. Also, hand delivered applications will not be considered. In order to be accepted, all applications must be mailed (to the below address) and postmarked. The recipient(s) of the Mike Corley Scholarship will be notified of their award and its amount by July 1st, 2016. Please include a recent photo for use in the newspaper, if awarded (photos will not be returned).